Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

So how is Hip-Hop a trend that will die out like Disco...?

...when it's existed since the 70s?

Oh right, favorite Led Zeppelin song?
    You can trace the origins of Rock in the 50s and the origins of Hip-Hop in the 70s. Tell me how the latter is a trend please. Thank you.
    I wonder if a certain Punk reviewer can answer this question, hmmm...
    @venomous, Hmmm, a trend doesn't last long. Hip-Hop has been popular and "in the spotlight" for like 20-30 years now so even if you did mean only in the mainstream you're still full of sh*t.

Just admit you equated a robust genre that has been popular for decades to legitimate trends like 80s Hair Metal or Disco and that you CLEARLY don't know anything about Hip-Hop and we'll be square.
    Not to mention Hip-Hop is still VERY much popular today which could add another decade into that 20-30 year stretch.
    @venomous, So wait you don't call The Beastie Boys and LL Cool J in the 80s and Run DMC doing a collab with Aerosmith as well as Tupac and Biggie in the 90s not fully penetrating mainstream and Hip-Hop being notably popular? Those two guys were in nationwide magazines and newspapers like Rolling Stones and LA Times and getting massive radioplay and tv coverage.

See what happens when you comment on something you don't know about? You look like a fool.

Also ANYTHING has finite popularity, the issue here are "trends" which is a term in music that has historically been used to refer to things with very low shelf-life in terms of mainstream popularity like 80's hair metal and such which if you knew anything about Hip-Hop you wouldn't even bother to attribute it with something like that. How would you react to someone calling the entire genre of Rock as being a trend?
    @c.f. I think you need to go lie down or read a book.
    @venomous, to clarify, a trend doesn't necessarily have to be extremely popular, it just needs to be prevalent enough to cause a stir which is why I interpreted your original comment the way I did.
    @C.F. no i think your previous b*tching and moaning has devolved into nonsensical drivel so you really need to step away from the computer now...

I'm concerned for you darling.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @ venomous:

"A burgeoning genre is going to get coverage, it's going to get introduced to the mainstream. Just because Should I Stay Or Should I Go was on the radio in the 80s doesn't mean that punk was a mainstream genre that pervaded popular music tastes. "

You seriously need to stop talking about things you know nothing about. The Beastie Boys, Run-DMC, Tupac, Biggie, Public Enemy, Wu-tang Clan, etc. weren't just some one-hit wonders. They stuck around in the mainstream consciousness for several years and still do to some extent now.

"Hip Hop is a subculture just like Punk, but that doesn't mean their time in the mainstream is tied to their actual longevity."

Actually their time in the mainstream for 20-30 is actually tied to their longevity, if you say otherwise you're dense.

"You're still thinking too
    broadly, searching desperately for ways for me to be wrong because I made a comment that you misinterpreted. "

No actually I refuted your argument when you clarified it for me so these are empty words.

Do me a favor and stop talking about Rap until you've been properly exposed to it and have SOME knowledge about it because I notice you haven't exactly referenced any Rap artists or specific examples of Rap which is the main topic at hand, not Punk or Rock.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @venomous:

"You can't accept anything approaching to objectivity. You refuse to understand what I'm saying and continue to run with your own misconceptions."

Actually you can't accept new information when it's been presented to you and refuse to understand what I am saying and run with your own misconceptions which they OBJECTIVELY are because I am backed by facts rather than faulty and inapplicable analogies. Look them up.

" You're ignorant."

Lol the irony. XD

"I don't really need to drop names to feel cool. I listen to a fair amount of Hip Hop and spend a good amount of time researching the history of music. I tend to reference punk more as analogous because I believe the genres are very related, but also because punk is my true genre name."

It's not about name-dropping, it's about pulling in
    formation from the specific subject you are discussing. Your faulty and inapplicable analogies is proof that you can't do this.

"I won't agree to any of your terms because you honestly aren't a very good opponent. You believe what you want to believe. I don't really care, this has gone on longer than it needs to."

Lol, rage-quitting at its finest. Bye now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It isn't. That's just what I was gonna say, that it's been around for decades. Hip-hop being a trend is kind of an oxymoron since it's part of a subculture.

BQ: "Rock and Roll"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly that's a good question.

Downloads
    Uploads
    yo yo yo

there is a difference between hip hop and pop rap.

hip hop roots are from the late 70's where rival gangs would get on mic and diss each other than shoot each other, you know? And that's why hip hop is an aggressive genre to begin with. And that's why it's a culture too. It wasn't until the 90's when hip hop was receiving its first introduction of mass exposure, though there were certainly a few instances where it did peak in the 80's. Anyways hip hop at this point derived itself from the real thing to the more pop accessible crap. Since the guy is a punk reviewer, i'll equate it with the post-hardcore scene that occurred during the 80's. Then one day it became great underground sh!t, to shitty accessible music like sleeping with the sirens. That's what happened to hip hop as well. Just like how post-hardcore is still sticking to its original roots and doing what it was doing originally but still expanding to this day, the same is happening to hip hop. In fact many genres of music have this outlet. It happened to alt. rock in the 80's when grunge came along. Plenty of examples to use here.

edit: what? I did a brief history of hip hop in regards where its roots came from. What's so wrong about it? I've seen plenty of documentaries, listened to the music for two years now and talked to a lot of friends about it. A lot of backpacker friends mind you.

edit 2: no wtf are you talking about. I'm just putting my input in. I don't see what's wrong with it. at all. How about a TL'DR: punk reviewer here says it's a trend most likely because of the pop rap he's listened to (not saying it's all bad but that's where most of bad hip hop comes from) so i'm trying to clear that up by saying that there is genuinely experimental and interesting hip hop albums being dropped monthly. How is that hard to comprehend?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it would be pretty cool if disco made a comeback

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're wrong, I don't think it is