Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want to become an author?

im only 20 years old. my life is pretty crappy but i want to become a writer.. how do i get into book writing? I feel if I really put my mind to one specific story, i can create a well-written masterpiece. Im into fiction novels. How do i improve at writing and then eventually write and sell my book? what steps should i take? is college necessary?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Grab a copy of Writer's Digest from your local book store or magazine rack and start reading. Every issue will help you with some aspect of your writing.

Next, read. Read everything on everything. Learn how experienced writers use language to express their thoughts, emotions, and ideas. Read dime store crap, and the greatest novels in western civilization. Read it all. Read every night before you go to bed.

Next, learn your craft. Take courses and study the use of grammar and language. Take a poetry class. Yea, boring as heck, but true poetry (no this modern stuff) will teach you how to use language to paint a scene. And get a word a day calender. You need to know a lot of words if you are going to be using them. And be sure your classes are taught by tight-a$$es. You want hard critiques of your work. This is the time to learn, not be pampered. If you just want to be pampered then give your stories to your mom. She'll kiss you on the forehead and put your story on the refrigerator. But no one else will ever see them.

Finally, write. That's right, write.
    Everyone wants to be a writer, but no one wants to do the work involved. If you want to be a writer then you have to write something every day. Write about anything, but write.

Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a good start; I'm glad you feel confident. Aside from reading, I'd also advise learning basic grammar skills. College isn't necessary; it helps, but it is by no means needed. Reading is key and so is practice. Once you've seen how other author's tell their story you can figure out how you want to write your own and go from there. You can do it! c:

Downloads
    Uploads
    It certainly sounds as if you need to study. Even if it's just the basic principles. Read, read, and then read some more. All authors get their ideas from different authors and then put their own twist on it. Could you start as a journalist? Many famous authors did. Start small and grow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can write a story at any age my dear chum. If you want to be a writer, then write!

You can only improve through practice of what you're doing, the best in the world have put hours upon hours into their craft. Developing your writing skills (Through practice) will be all important to fulfilling the ideas rolling around in your head. Furthermore, read, read, READ! Reading will also help create a foundation for your skills.

There are numerous online resources that you can take advantage of such as:
    https://sites.google.com/site/writingtogether/
    http://freelancefolder.com/10-amazing-free-online-writing-courses/
    http://www.critiquecircle.com/
    http://www.writingworkshop.com.au/

College is not at all necessary to become a talented writer (With that being said though there are specific courses revolving around writing which help the students involved develop nuances etcetera).

I would advise that you, 'net-work'. Get to know people online and in real life, show them your work, take criticism that will inevitably come, continue to write and improve. I've noticed that there are a fair few aspiring authors on, 'Yahoo Answers' alone who you could collaborate with if you saw fit.

I would concentrate on the writing part first, before moving into the publishing aspect. By performing the aforementioned, net-working whilst you are writing you will have (hopefully) learnt about publishing and publishers as well.

But then again, I am a crab, so my advice may be unreliable.

Wishing you the best of your luck in your endeavours, Steve the Crab.