Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

2.7L Chrysler Sebring rod bearings move sideways but no up & down is that ok?

hey guys I have 2002 Sebring with 2.7L has 146,000 miles. the car has strange noise I couldn't tell even with long screwdriver, sound more like lifters noise. after checking the lifters they were ok I took the oil pan off and found lots of metal fragments although the oil was changed yesterday. I looked at the rods nothing bent. all 6 bearings have a little play right-left can easily move them, if I move them pushing hard they will make tap noise. they do not move up and down, front or backward at all. I took one bearing off to take a look, has very small scratches but I don't see anything alarming. just normal small wear. is it ok for these bearings to move right and left? crankshaft itself has no play and under the bearing looks very good no scratches at all. thanks

the fragments could be from busted water pump!! it was bad the water pump bearing is gone I found some lil parts of the water pump in the oil pan. I replaced the water pump, chain, tensioner. so u guys think it's ok for side play for the rod bearings?

Downloads
    Uploads
    these are known for their timing chains breaking. I highly recommend that you do a timing chain job on it if you want to keep that car much longer. Do not care for the 2.7 motor at all, it is a piece of junk, 3.2 or 3.5 is a good motor though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ok first of all metal fragments are really bad news get two or 3 small magnets and stick them to the inside of the oil pan if you dont then what is not really a serious problem ( by the way u described) but if theres still metal the magnets will catch it and stop it from causing any more damage just check them after first week or so with fresh oil and pull them off if theres no big fragments you should be sucking diesel buddy hope i helped