hey guys I have 2002 Sebring with 2.7L has 146,000 miles. the car has strange noise I couldn't tell even with long screwdriver, sound more like lifters noise. after checking the lifters they were ok I took the oil pan off and found lots of metal fragments although the oil was changed yesterday. I looked at the rods nothing bent. all 6 bearings have a little play right-left can easily move them, if I move them pushing hard they will make tap noise. they do not move up and down, front or backward at all. I took one bearing off to take a look, has very small scratches but I don't see anything alarming. just normal small wear. is it ok for these bearings to move right and left? crankshaft itself has no play and under the bearing looks very good no scratches at all. thanks

the fragments could be from busted water pump!! it was bad the water pump bearing is gone I found some lil parts of the water pump in the oil pan. I replaced the water pump, chain, tensioner. so u guys think it's ok for side play for the rod bearings?