Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What should I get: a Ducati sports bike or a Harley Davidson cruiser?

I'm not the sort of guy who goes around speeding and doing wheelies, but even so, I want a powerful bike just because I like the feel of it and the engine makes a better sound. My options are a Harley Davidson cruiser or a Ducati sports bike. I live in a residential area, not country but not city either.

Which is better for me to ride?

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are two completely different styles of bike. How can we make a decision as to what's right for you? Our answers would be based on what we like,not you. Doesn't make much sense does it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why do you think you can handle a powerful motorcycle? Do you think you can go buy a top of the line guitar and not look like an idiot pretending to play it with zero experience? Only difference is a sport bike will kill you when you try to play and don't know the song.

Why would you want to spend premium bucks on a Harley? It is an antique reproduction. You are buying a name, a bike that is common as a mini van, but not near the performance.

How about buying a nice beginner level bike and earning some skills? A 250 ninja is economical and quick and most people don't know it from a full on sport bike, a dual sport is tough and you can take it off road to learn many useful skills.

Downloads
    Uploads
    the Ducati is made in Italy known to bteak down and has imported expensive parts. The Harley ( depending on which bike you pick) Has made in America parts that while expensive too, Do not have to take a three month trip on a slow boat to get here ( all goods from across the ocean are shipped on a cargo vessel. This is the least expensive way to ship goods)
    Harley has the advantage in the parts availability department. Ducati is known for speed and fast bikes are always good for speeding tickets in my experience. ( I don't do slow)

If your going to pick a bike, het at least a 74 cubic inch engine or bigger. ( 74 = 1200.cc) or better yet a 80 incher. The bike is heavier and it rides good around town or down the highway and does not wear you out like a smaller bike sometimes does on rough stretches of highway. ( lets face it the Nations highway system is not getting better, Parts of it are getting worse faster than predicted due in part to heavier than expected Big Rig Trucks which do most of the damage. Heavier bikes soak up bad road like its candy. Not so the smaller bikes you can take a beating on a long run.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ducati. Harleys need a lot of maintenance and are way over priced. Harley riders like the style of the bike and the whole scene. If you want performance go for the Ducati. ( theyre sexier too in my opinion)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Get what feels rite for you. I've been a HD(Buell) forever. Love them. Never ridden the Duc, but tons of respect for them. I'm actually a fan of all motorcycles. Don't like cars or trucks. If I didn't have kids I'd own motorcycles only. Here on the left coast(California) we can ride all year round. I own two Harley's, two dirt bikes, working on getting another Buell soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How many times a day must we endure this question on Yahoo Answers. What motorcycle should I get. Should I buy brand X or brand Y.

The first thing you must consider is that just about any answer you will get to a question like this will be based more on brand loyalty than actual facts. A person will almost always recommend the brand bike that they ride. To recommend anything else would be somehow admitting that they made a poor choice when they bought their motorcycle. So take brand recommendations for what they are worth.

The best motorcycle to have is the motorcycle that does not exceed your riding skill level, best suits your needs, your body size, your likes, and your budget. There is NO best bike that is suitable for everyone.

Motorcycles come in all sorts of shapes, styles, sizes, and price ranges. No one can tell you which motorcycle will be best for you.

To find out what motorcycle is best for you the very first thing you need to do is to get your butt away from the computer. Then, decide on a price range that you can afford. Go to the various motorcycle dealers in your area. Stay with the name brand manufacturers. Look at the bikes that interest you and are within your budget. Sit on them. Sit on them long enough to see if they are comfortable. See how well they fit your body. Are the handlebars in a good location for you? Are the controls in a good location for you? And MOST important, can you put both feet flat on the ground. If you can not put both feet flat on the ground, you will need to lean the bike to one side when stopped in traffic. You can very easily lose your balance and drop the bike. This can be very dangerous, or at the very least, embarrassing.

Next, take the bikes that interest you most for a test ride. The seat of your pants will tell you most of what you need to know.

Once you get it narrowed down to a few bikes it is time to do a little research. And don't be so lazy as to just ask here on Yahoo Answers. There are lots of places on the Internet that will have both professional and owner reviews of the models that interest you. If you want to spend a little money, you can also find reviews in the many motorcycle related publications. This will tell you a lot more than any answer you will receive here.

A motorcycle can be a significant investment. You don't want to spend a lot of money only to find that you bought a bike that isn't good for you.

You will be the person riding this bike
    You will be the person maintaining this bike
    You will be the person paying for this bike
    You are the only person who needs to like this bike.

So I have a novel idea, why not pick the bike that YOU like best. Not one selected for you by strangers on the Internet.