Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I properly tighten the axle bolts on my truck?

I'm tryin to register my truck, it's a 2001 Ford F150, but it failed the safety test because apparently the bolts that hold the axle in place were very loose and even missing a couple washers! I'm 8 and 1/2 months pregnant and they said its completely unsafe to drive.. So I need to replace the missing washers and then tighten all the bolts extra tight.. Does anyone know about how many pounds of torque is necessary and safe specifically for "axle bolts"? And what tool can be used to tighten/loosen these bolts? The truck is lifted, so I'm able to see the bolts fairly easily if I stick my head into the wheele-wale and look down.. Also, can I just get any type of washer and use that? If it fits I mean.. Or is there a specific type of washer that's made for JUST for axle's?? Thanx

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Mary so in the interests of safety take it to a mechanic and lets him have the job of doing it given your present condition. it would be far safer.