Is it likely to be caught downloading torrents in the UK (Please read)?

ThesecretsthatIkeep

Jun 7, 2013
I don't usually download torrents as I have all of the media/games I need but recently I moved houses and three of my sims 3 discs got broken in the move as my dad didn't package them properly.
We're on an unlimited internet plan and my brother told me to download the games I had lost in the form of torrents.
He's showed me how to do it but I feel really bad. I'm scared I will get caught as I've read about people in America being sued for TONNES of money but I've never really heard of anyone in the UK being prosecuted for just downloading..
How likely is it to be caught whilst living in the UK?
Thanks for any answers in advance

Download all day you want anything i always download stuff from internet from movies ,games ,music ....etc
but if your afraid of getting in problem with that .... use VPN services look for VPN services and pay them like 4 USD for 1 month unlimited ur ur IP address will show up like ur in US , japan ,russia ,romania ,france ,canada .....etc dont worry get VPN
+ YOU WONT GET caught IF they find out that u download u get extra charge on ur bill like if u pay 30$ every month you gotta pay like 400$ for the month u had warning
you GOTTA change your IP address use IP ADRESS changer use PROXY , VPN and stuff to be anonymous on the internet so no body will find out who u are or where u live

There is an alarmingly high chance of detection now, as the police have this software called like RUFT or something, you don't go to prison or anything, so don't worry too much, but an old friend of mine has been recently picked up for it by the police.

Not really. Downloading isn't even illegal in the strict sense. The media industry has been using some nasty scare tactics in the last couple of years though to intimidate people. In fact, I rarely downloaded anything I didn't pay for until they started that heavy-handed BS. Now I do it in protest.

If you are worried, use a proxy. Spotflux is a "cloud" that gives you some degree of anonymity and it's free to use: http://www.spotflux.com/

Please be aware that it can cause connection problems and it will always slow down your connection to some degree. Turn it off when you don't need it.

If it completely messes up your internet connection, follow these instruction to do reset your DNS (this guide isn't by me, it's what someone else told me to do when my DNS settings went bad)

Uninstall Spotflux, reboot your PC.

Close all windows, Select > start icon > all programs > accessories > Right click on "command prompt" > select > Run as administrator > ok any alerts > at the command prompt type or copy and paste each of the following, hit enter after each one...

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /registerdns

Then reboot your PC and check the connection.

You can also use true VPN proxy connections like Tunnel Bear, but those are paid-for services - although Tunnel Bear does give you a small amount of free use.

Back