Insulate Android contacts from Google?

KTChong

Jun 7, 2013
Android syncs all my contacts to my Google account. I am using Google Contacts to manage my contacts on my computer when I am not using my phone.

However, I am looking for an alternative. I want to insulate my contacts from my Google/Android account -- and most importantly, from the intrusive Google+. I want to move my contacts elsewhere to another website that offers contact books.

Any good recommendations?

The reason is I do not trust Google: Google is basically cross-referencing people's contacts and search history, and making revenues by intruding on people's privacy. An example: I had a gay roommate from early 2000s. He had never revealed to his family that he was gay. He uses Google. I use Google. So on his birthday, Google made recommendations for me to buy birthday gifts for him... and the recommendations include gay-interest books and films. So I thought, whoa, Google used his search history and contacts, and use the information to make recommendations that violated his privacy. That's when I decided I need to insulate my private information from Google so Google cannot link my search history to my contacts.

Back