I'm 16 years old and currently drive a 98 F150, 8cyl, 4wd. it gets about 12 miles to the gallon. we bought it from a friend, he said it was in good condition but after buying we have realized that it has no AC and that would be a 2000 dollar repair, the power steering pump blew so that was about 0, and there was a short in the radio that was a 0 repair. we fixed everything except the AC so it runs fine but there is no AC. I am kinda fed up with the vehicle because there has been alot of problems, and with it approaching 130k miles who knows what will happen? but the only way my mom will let me get a new car is if it gets significantly better gas mileage. I dont want to drive a car, so im looking for an SUV. we bought the F150 for 5000 and would sell it to buy a new vehicle, so the new vehicle would have to cost under 00. Any suggestions for make/model for a suv that gets good mpg, and is reliable?

we had a 2005 explorer and it was nothing but trouble, but before that we had a 95 explorer and it is still running, but we gave it to my cousin. i like the explorer but the new ones just dont seem to last as long.