What is the profile of the average 26 year old male in midwestern United States?

jasper

Feb 19, 2008
My 26 year-old son tells me that it's not unusual that he has difficulty getting a job that pays over $8 to $9 an hour (only a high school education, but actually quite smart, although he had some learning disabilities with reading as a child), doesn't have any savings, and lives at home because he can't make ends meet on his own. Also, how many jobs has the average 26-year old male held by age 26? My son qualifies for state health insurance because his income is low. And his line is that he often cannot afford money for food, gas, etc. I'm not dumb, and I know that a big part of the problem is that he needs to get motivated. He has been on his own before but moved back home after a relationship went belly up. He is single (never married) and has no children. Would love some good data to counter some of his claims. I say no to a lot of what he wants, but I want him to have a more accurate picture of the average 26-year-old male in the midwestern US. And, if I need to revise my expectations, I'll look at that. Would greatly appreciate any references to website or area where I can find researched information on this issue!

Thank you.

Back