Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can anyone offer some vegan recipes for fake meat and fake fish?

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm interested in trying a completely VEGAN version of the paleo diet. Paleo diet includes mainly: vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and meats. All are OK for me to eat except the latter food.

So I'm looking to simply REPLACE foods like MEAT and FISH with vegan versions of those items. I want to make them FROM SCRATCH (caps for emphasis)! No processed, pre-packaged stuff in boxes that they sell in-store. No thank you.

I want to eat fresh foods and I'm asking for recipes from fellow vegans. Recipes to make both FAKE FISH and FAKE MEAT from scratch. If anyone has any, has tried any or has heard of any...please let me know. (the simpler, the better...and sorry for all the caps. I use them for emphasis, so no one misunderstands my question).

Downloads
    Uploads
    well i dont have any recipes off hand but regarding fake meat if you want to make burgers black beans work very well. im not sure if theres a recipe for fake steak but ive always just used flat mushrooms and grilled them with some marinade etc.
    have a look on http://www.veganmeals.com/ im faily sure theres one of two recipes on there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fish are animals, and therefore "meat and fish" is redundant.

I highly-recommend making your own seitan from gluten for economic reasons,
    but I understand that wheat products are forbidden on paleo? Plus, you'd have to buy the gluten in a "box".

You could try your hand at making tofu or tempeh, but even that requires soy beans, which come packaged, unless you have a source where you could get them fresh?

There's a brand of vegan "fish" products called Sophie's Kitchen that I'd recommend, but for the paleo thing...

I'm really at a loss for what you're asking for, specifically.

"Vegan", btw, refers to an ethical philosophy opposing animal commodification and the resulting lifestyle, of which diet is but a small part. When adopted alone, this is called strict vegetarianism.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Type "vegan meat and fish recipes" into the search engine.

Just to be clear, you are aware that these faux meats are made mostly from beans and legumes? While they may appeal to you more in terms of taste or texture, it would seem both easier and more in keeping with the spirit of the diet to just eat the beans and legumes.