Having a hard time writing an interesting date scene?

Asldkfhajsdh

May 12, 2013
this is the second half of what I have so far...The first half was mainly their conversation over dinner and them getting to know each other. I feel like it's boring, I'm having a hard time making it interesting. Thoughts?

The outdoor cinema was exactly the mental picture I’d always had. Rows of folding chairs were arranged on the grass, with a papered carpet separating aisles. A huge screen hung in front of them, strung from two nearby trees. Above, the stars were starting to peek out from the blue glimmer of twilight. I picked two seats while Dylan got snacks, folding my coat over the chair next to me to save it. Dylan reappeared as the theatre was starting to fill.
“Oh, I love these!” I exclaimed, reaching for the sweet chili chips he’d gotten along with the traditional popcorn.
“I know, they’re my favorite. My friends don’t like them though. Losers.” Dylan crunched down on one of them. I nodded, the tips of my fingers already stained with chip dust.
“Yeah, Anna hates them. She’s always saying chips have no business being spicy.”
Our fingers brushed against each other briefly as the movie started, a moment that would have been sweet if not for the incessant crinkling of the chip bag. I was starting to regret my choice of outfit. The skirt I’d selected may have shown off the best part of my legs, but the chill in the wind was starting to wrap around my ankles uncomfortably.
Anyone who claims to not enjoy the movie Mamma Mia has never seen it in a Greek theatre. By the end, we were all dancing to the last chorus of “Waterloo.” Dylan was a surprisingly good dancer, I noted, impressed, as he twirled me into the aisle without tripping over the maze of upturned chairs. It was a good thing he was singing totally off-key, because I would have felt far too inferior otherwise. As the song ended and everyone started laughing and clapping, I struck a silly pose, throwing my arms upwards and wrinkling my nose. Dylan laughed and slowly wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him.
“I had a nice time tonight,” He said softly, keeping one arm around my waist and freeing the other to lift my hair out of my face.
“Me too.” His eyes were very close to mine, but I didn’t feel the want to escape the contact anymore. He kept playing with my hair lightly, then formed a firmer grip in it and pulled me closer.
It wasn’t technically my first kiss. I’d had a beautiful fling when I was 6 with the next-door neighbor, Kevin. I’d also had a brief kiss the year before at a party, but I liked to pretend that had never happened.
This was different, though. Softer, slower. I felt our bodies connect through every sense: the smell of his cologne mixed with the detergent whiff of his freshly washed shirt, the softness of his hands in my hair, the gentle taste of his lips against mine. The moment seemed to last forever as I took in every aspect of this sweetness. When our lips broke apart at last, our eyes met again, and I could see nothing beyond those blue orbs. I smiled lightly, aware of a soft tingling in my lips. Dylan’s hand moved down to take my hand, and we walked back to the metro mostly in silence.
“I had a really great time tonight,” I murmured, still entranced, when we parted ways at the escalators. My fingers fiddled with the edges of my skirt and I rubbed the back of my knee with my foot to reach an itch that had been bothering me for most of the movie.
“Me too.” Dylan leaned in to kiss me briefly, and we walked away from each other. I looked back before getting on the escalator, and Dylan smiled at me before disappearing down the grey stairs. I leaned back into the metro car chair when the train finally came whirling into view, crossing my arms over my stomach and sighing deeply. My eyelids drooped slightly over my sleepy eyes, and my neck rolled back to let my head rest on the back of the chair. A strange feeling was sweeping through my veins, though I couldn’t tell if it was part of the happiness that was coursing through me. It felt different, though, as though my body was trying to counteract the contentment with a strange sort of melancholy. I slumped forward, resting my head on one hand and rubbing the back of my neck with the other in an attempt to shake the now-familiar feeling that I was being watched. As the prickly feeling vanished with the contact, I sighed again, closing my eyes to appreciate the happiness of the moment.

Back