History, Judaism, Christianity vs. Gnosticism and Islam - which position is

LogicalTruth

May 12, 2013
true and why? 1. From History - Jesus of Nazareth was executed by crucifixion [1][2]

2. From Judaism - Jesus of Nazareth was executed by crucifixion [3]

3. From Christianity - Jesus of Nazareth was executed by crucifixion [4]

4. From Gnosticism - Jesus of Nazareth did not die in reality, but in appearance (i.e. Jesus of Nazareth was not executed by crucifixion) [5]

5. From Islam - Jesus of Nazareth did not die in reality, but in appearance (i.e. Jesus of Nazareth was not executed by crucifixion) [6]

[1] (Despite this enormous range of opinion, there are several points on which virtually all scholars of antiquity agree. Jesus was a Jewish man, known to be a preacher and teacher, who was crucified (a Roman form of execution) in Jerusalem during the reign of the Roman emperor Tiberius, when Pontius Pilate was the governor of Judea. Even though this is the view of nearly every trained scholar on the planet, it is not the view of a group of writers who are usually labeled, and often label themselves, mythicists.) Bart D. Ehrman, Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth, pg. 12

[2] (“Jesus death as a consequence of crucifixion is indisputable.”) - Atheist Gerd Ludemann - The Resurrection of Christ, Pg 50.

[3] (The mob had naturally more sympathy for the avowed rebel than for the person who had recommended the payment of tribute. It chose Barabbas; and Jesus was left to undergo the Roman punishment of Crucifixion in company with two malefactors....Whatever had been Jesus' anticipations, he bore the terrible tortures, due to the strain and cramping of the internal organs, with equanimity till almost the last, when he uttered the despairing and pathetic cry "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" (the Aramaic form of Ps. xxii. 1, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"), which showed that even his resolute spirit had been daunted by the ordeal. This last utterance was in all its implications itself a disproof of the exaggerated claims made for him after his death by his disciples. The very form of his punishment would disprove those claims in Jewish eyes. No Messiah that Jews could recognize could suffer such a death; for "He that is hanged is accursed of God" (Deut. xxi. 23), "an insult to God" (Targum, Rashi).) Jewish Encyclopedia, The unedited full-text of the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia, JESUS OF NAZARETH, The Crucifixion.

[4] (And it was the third hour when they crucified him. And Jesus uttered a loud cry and breathed his last. Pilate was surprised to hear that he should have already died. And summoning the centurion, he asked him whether he was already dead. And when he learned from the centurion that he was dead, he granted the corpse to Joseph.) Mark 15:25, 37, 44-45, The New Testament, English Standard Version (©2001)

[5] (In the Second Treatise of the Great Seth, Jesus says, “I did not die in reality, but in appearance.” Those “in error and blindness….saw me; they punished me. It was another, their father, who drank the gall and vinegar; it was not I. They struck me with the reed; it was another, Simon, who bore the cross on his shoulder. I was rejoicing in the height over all….And I was laughing at their ignorance.”) Robinson, 265.

[6] (That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise;-) The Quran 4:157-158, Yusuf Ali

1, 2 and 3 are correct.

You can prove this by simply looking at the time period where all these ideas developed.
From a historical point of view they say the crucifixion of Jesus is undisputable.
The Jewish sources confirm it and they lived during the time of Jesus.
All the early Christians confirmed this and this has always been at the core.

Gnostics arrived much later on and the Apostles who spread the message never taught gnostic beliefs.

Islam came around 600 years later so you can already discredit their view.

If you take god and the miracles out of the picture then it clear that 1, 2 and 3 would be correct. You cannot call sources that developed hundreds of years afterwards credible.

NONE is "true" they are all opinions

what we call "sacred texts" are human stories

I like the zen idea:
"the TAO is not the TAO"
that is, if you think you know what divinity is, you are wrong

I can see why you are homosexual like Mitt Romney. with an answer like that.

priscia theologia - look it up. The underlying message in all those ideas and religions and the ideas of almost all other religions is the same. The universe is all one thing and you are not seperate from it you are of God. Look up the law of attraction, "the secret" all that jazz is the same too. Its all one thing and that one thing is you, not me not your mom or your priest YOU.

Back