I rescued a two year old pit mix about a month ago. She seemed very docile and the shelter had her noted as low energy. About two weeks later, after she had recovered from her spay surgery and kennel cough, she became the most out-of-control, high strung animal I have ever seen. Even my friends with long history of dog care say they have never seen a dog this crazy. Please allow me to give some more detail, so you can better understand.

She is constantly jumping on people. She can't seem to get close enough. She gets so excited, she freaks out and flops around on the floor. I cannot let her run around inside the house off her leash because she acts like a maniac - she constantly wrestles with our other dog. She tears things up. She poops and pees inside.

I bought a crate and I've been trying to house train her and maintain a little control with her. She seems to almost enjoy being in the crate. I've got her on a sleep, food, outdoor/bathroom schedule now and it's going pretty well.

However, she goes absolutely insane with anxiety when I leave her in a room (crate or no crate). If I step out of the room for just a second, she starts banging on things, barking, and whimpering. I wouldn't have a problem waiting out her 'tantrums', but I live with other people and I can't have her freaking out in the middle of the night.

I'm a night person, my housemates are not. So now, when I'm up during the night, if I want to go to the bathroom, get a drink, cook some food, anything - I have to put her leash on and keep her with me. I made dinner tonight with her leash wrapped around my arm!

I bought some herbal calming stuff called Rescue Remedy, but that didn't really help. I've been in contact with a dog trainer who has offered to enroll us into a seven week training school (though, one session a week for seven weeks doesn't quite sound like it will be sufficient, but I'm going to give it a shot).

I feel trapped. I can't function with her behaving like this.