Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Volkswagen help? Mk4?

Hi, I'm 16 and looking to buy a used mk4 GTI, looking in the 5-8000 dollar range and for that price they usually have 100000+ miles so I just wanna ask if I get one will I come across major problems? I am looking to do the work by myself with help of friends but will there be any major problems.? If you have a vw tell me if your car had any problems and what problems at how many miles. Thank youuu

Junior Member CLarifiedMumboJumbo's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, I am guessing that is about 10 years old area.

Everything depends on the owner that is selling it. They have a reason, and they are not going to tell you. That would kill the possible sale.

At 100,000 you should be basically repairing the whole car. (Most Likely) Standard transmission would need a clutch, new brake pads and shoes, new muffler, front wheel alignment(which you have a shop do as you do not have Lazer equipment); new tires; CVJ's replaced(so both front axles); coolant hoses and V belt.
    Oh yeah, timing belt is to be changed every 60,000 miles (or 5 years), new battery. I have heard from others the Water pump should also be changed(though I never had a problem with that or the thermostat)
    Electrical issues started almost immediately. Let's just say if someone tried to steal it, it would konk out on them before they did a block. (that was water into the fusebox from the backside50,000miles or so and because it costs so much to replace I did some borrowing of power from other sources on the fusebox(lots of cross connections with short strands of wire.
    . If the car started to konk out on me while driving the strip at night, I would hit the dashboard several times at the right places and it continued to run.
    The worst that could happen is that I have to tow the car home.(that never happened)
    .. Odometer failed at 40,000 miles and NOBODY fixes that so it is you on your kitchen table taking it apart to see what happened.
    Don't pay a lot for them so you can walk away once it does die.