Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

1999 Nissan Maxima (auto.) shifting problems? Need help ASAP!?

Hello, about 4 months ago after (stupidly) letting my moronic little brother borrow my car he returned in a less than favorable condition. I noticed after that the transmission felt like it was sluggish in both shifting and speeding up. The car used to get to speed in a snap (as I kept it fairly well maintained). but now it just feels like it takes forever to climb to even get to 75mph. I recently ran into money problems, so asking an auto shop to find what it is would prove costly. I LOVE my Maxima. I would hate to part with it and i was hoping someone on here would be able hopefully give me a generally idea what's wrong. I am familiar with engines and stuff, but have always feared doing any transmission work. There is no noisy problems coming from the transmission or anything, it shifts kind of hard, but not like is forcing itself into gear. When going from park to drive, reverse (ect.), it feels like it takes an extra second to kind of 'catch' before I can go. And when I brake it feels like the car is trying to pull away harder than usual. I really hope someone can help! Thank you if you even think you know whats going on! it means a lot!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take it to the dealer for an estimate on repairs
    it will cost you $100 or so to have them to look at it

Then park it until you can afford to get it fixed

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only Thing You Can Try Is Changing Your Fluid And Filter. other Than That You Might Be sol

Downloads
    Uploads
    It sounds to me like your torque converter is slipping. Lucas Oil makes something that helps to eliminate slipping. I would buy that first and see if that helps. It usually sells for less than per bottle. If that doesnt fix it, then you might need a new torque converter. Hope this helps you

Downloads
    Uploads
    What I think happened is he was changing like from park to reverse/drive without putting the brake in. So the gear shifter things got messed up. It can get fixed but there going have to verify if what I said is the problem.