Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got hired at a restaurant as a 'line cook' but I have no experience as a cook

and in the restaurant.? They interviewed me three times and they knew that I was only applying as a dishwasher guy. When I had to talk to the chef again, he told me that he wants me to be a line cook. I never found out why he made that decision. I can cook but only at home. I have very little skills in the kitchen. I can't chop fast using a knife like what all chefs do. I did not even go to college to study culinary arts. What does this mean? I have orientation on Tuesday but I'm nervous. I don't know what to expect.

Should I bring a notebook and a pencil on orientation day?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You may be over thinking this. If you were honest in your interviews then the cook knows what he is getting. He must figure that you are easily trainable. They will only give you what they think you can handle. Above all, be honest about your skills and ask questions.
    You also don't know the level of experience of other people who have become line cooks. It may be well below the experience and talents you have. The worse that can happen is that you get demoted to dishwasher. And that was your goal in the first place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Line cooks typically just prep a few items (over and over) for the head chef. You may chop vegetables all night and nothing else. Or they could train you to make a sauce and in between you prep food fir the head chef.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats. Line cook is several steps up from dishwasher guy (pearl diver). The trick to chef chopping is to place the point of the knife on the cutting board and then bring the handle down. Lightly place your left hand with fingers extended and together on the back of the blade for leverage if needed and hold knife handle in your right hand if you are right-handed. Keep the point on the board and repeat the chopping motion as needed. With practice you will get real fas at thist. Relax. They will teach you what you need to know.