Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do people think handheld gaming consoles are only for kids?

I'm a lifelong, hardcore gamer. I'm also a long haul truck driver, who spends 21 straight days on the road per month. My PS Vita is one of my most prized possessions, and I would go nuts out there without it. Not only does it satisfy my gaming needs, it also provides me with the ability to Skype my friends and family on the road. But people seem to think it's weird when they see a 30 year old guy playing a handheld console. There is not the same attitude about home consoles, just handhelds. I'm not some manchild. In fact, I'm a married father of two. who's favorite hobby is video games. I also love the fact that it gives me the ability to have my nightly gaming session with my son even though I'm away from home.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We live in a society where social values and general consensus is dictated by trend and presumptions. The original market of gaming was for young kids and this was the image stuck in the mind of the majority. This relates to 'presumptions.' Secondly, gaming has been associated by the media with all those controversial topics such as violent gaming, obsession or the likes. This is an example of 'trend.' With these two, it's easy to see why many people who simply follows what the media or general public tells them would automatically look down on gamers. But as you have realised, gaming means so much more than a kiddish satisfaction. It has become a solid aid in the things you do in life and definitely a positive influence, unfortunately not loud enough for the general society to recognise. Keep on doing things you believe is right and not fall for the factitious belief known as general consensus!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know, Its just a another form of gaming in my opinion. I own a handheld as well, Nintendo 3DS and I'm 24, male work full time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hallelujah. Power to you sir. I may only be 19 but I'm right there with you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well when the game boy and game gear came out 20 years ago it was marketed specifically for kids. Handhelds have changed but people have not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    personally i dont think they are childish. i love video games! i actually like the older video games but i tend to play the newer games here and there too. but for some reason i always get teased for my gaming addiction im in year 9 at the moment and people tend to think its weird but i dont know why! i dont really know why people think this way but i guess its probably what the first guy said. keep it up who cares what anyone says ITS AWESOMEEEE !