Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do shops still sell cigarettes if they know the risks?

Shouldn't they at least make them harder for people to get. I mean even if they have horrible ads and warnings on the boxes , as long as they are available at your local newsagent , people won't think twice about buying them

Junior Member BachmannPalinOverdrive's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Duh ! cigarettes are legal.

Why does McDonald's sell Big Mac's to fat people?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Because they are not supposed to be a nanny who decide what is good or bad for customers. Should we ask McDonald to stop offering fast food or make it harder to obtain fast food at all their restaurants because fast food is unhealthy? Should stores stop selling soda and other sugary drinks or make it more difficult to buy because they are not good for you? Should stores stop selling alcohol or make it harder to buy it? There are already laws on the books requiring people to be a certain age in order to legally buy cigarettes. Why is it the responsibility of stores to help people make healthy decisions?

Downloads
    Uploads
    People that smoke don't care about those ads or warnings...they want cigarettes anyway and if a shop doesn't have them they will go somewhere that does have them and then the shop loses a customer which reduces the shops profits...

Take a convenience store for an example.....
    they sell gas, deli foods, groceries, baked goods, coffee, cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, sodas and all kinds of other stuff someone may need on the way to or from work or close to their house ect.

Now say I smoke cigarettes and the convenience store that I stopped at everyday to buy my coffee, my breakfast sandwich, my newspaper, soda for my lunch and my pack of cigarettes decides not to sell cigarettes anymore...

That means I would have to stop somewhere else to buy my cigarettes and if that place also has coffee, breakfast sandwiches, newspapers and soda then that store would get all my business and the other store that has no cigarettes would lose all my business.

It wouldnt be convenient for me to stop at 2 stores to get what I want when I can just stop at one that has everything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Because ultimately people are responsible for their on decisions.

And cigarettes are still legal. Perfectly legal.

Shops would lose a lot of money if they ceased to sell the cigarettes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The shops make profits. You might also think 'why isn't the government doing something?' Well it's because all cigerettes, much like alcohol have a duty (tax) which gets paid to the government, so they don't want to lose this large source of income!

It's horrible but true, hope I helped.

Downloads
    Uploads
    MONEY

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's all business . All they care is for money and as long as humans exist, they keep smoking inspite of its health effects .

All we should do is not to smoke and encourage others to quit smoking

Downloads
    Uploads
    Because they make a lot of money from selling cigarettes.