Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Verizon with Actiontec modem, will not hold password?

I lose internet connection frequently and the cause seems to be that my modem will not hold the password. When I go to the Actiontec page (192.168.0.1) the PPP Password is 16 dots (hidden password) but my password is only 9 characters. when I reset the password it works sometimes but when I go back to the PPP Password that 16 character password is always in there. Any ideas on how to reset the default to what my actual password is?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do not think the password is the issue. It is a little deceptive the way they display the password but it is common to replace the actual password with a set number of dots regardless of how long the actual password is. The reason for this is it's easier for a hacker to crack if they knew how many characters are in the password. So the system replaces the saved password with the same fixed length indication. PPP provides a means of authenticating your modem to the ISP.
    If you are loosing connection frequently this is because of your line to the internet service provider is faulty or the modem is defective. Make sure the cable is firmly connected from the wall to your device. Restart the device. If still problematic call the ISP and have them test your line. Hope this helps!