Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

About Martial Arts, what's it like?

I'm thinking of enrolling on a Korean Martial Arts school called "Kuk Sool Won". But I've been wondering, whats it like being in a Martial Arts school? I consider myself a fast learner. And I also heard about the "tournament"? What's that like? Is it obligatory? Do they rush you? Do you get pressured? I have no idea what's it like. I don't really care if its hard--I'm willing to do it! But I still am wondering about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I take martial arts and I love it. We aren't forced to go to any tournaments or anything, its optional. They usually take care of new guys pretty good, you won't be rushed or pressured. Some things will be hard and other things you will learn in no time. Ultimately martial arts is the best thing I have ever been involved in, its worth it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Martial arts will teach several things regarding hand to hand combat and self defense. However, you'll also learn several things that will make you a better human being and I think that is what makes martial arts different from other activities.

Most schools will go easy on beginners and gradually work them higher and higher. Though tournaments aren't mandatory (in some places) it's a good idea to join because it can give you a taste of fighting different people and give you more experience regarding different fighting methods.

Be sure to look out for McDojos: http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/

- Hope this helps