Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member kellynoelre@sbcglobalenet's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

dirt bike, dual sport bike, or dirt sport and street bike?

I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle, but I have little knowledge about them. I'd like the option of going off roading because I live by a lot of tracks. I'd also like to use it to get to school and back. Maybe some freeway use to get to work. I'm not sure if i should just get a dirt bike so I wouldn't have to worry about insurance. Or I could get a dual sport, though I'm concerned it won't ride exceptionally on both terrains (dirt and street). I've also considered just getting a dirt bike and a street bike, though that would be expensive. If I got a dirt bike, I'd probably get a Honda CBR250R. If I got a dual sport, I'd get a Suzuki DR-Z400S. If I got a street bike, I'd probably get a ninja.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like your choices of bikes that fit well in the different classes. It really comes down to what you want the most to do with a bike. The DR-Z400S is more than enough bike to handle dirt riding like trails and faster dirt sections, also deep loose sand or mud but as a road bike the stock tires are a bit harsh with vibrations for any highway cruising types of riding but up to 20 miles at a time is fine and it won't affect your eyesight with loose eyeballs (joking; sort of). But it really needs a lot of thought about which type of riding you will actually HAVE to do rather than just like to do.

Of course you could buy a spare set of wheels and fit really good highway tires and with good ground clearance they make a great bike for touring all day, especially on winding country roads.

Yes, insurance is a pain and costs you money but sooner or later we all had to go down that path but remember you will can get no claim price reductions each year so maybe it is the right time to insure....it will pay back big time later on when you want to insure an expensive car with a 50% no claim bonus....

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are asking questions about a street bike.

This section is for RACING bikes.

Your question would be better suited to the Street Bike section of Yahoo Answers.

You can find the Street Bike section under Transport, Here :

http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylt=AmKT9S3cS3lkGCYJO612vAYU5XNG;_ylv=3?sid =396546040

This section is for Motorcycle RACING.

Good luck, I’m sure the users in the Street section will help you out.