How to sample drums from a record or mp3?

Jebediah

Mar 4, 2013
Okay so recently I was watching a documentary on A Tribe Called Quest and Q-Tip used a record, a turntable, a mixer and what seems to be a MPC to sample only drums. I am trying to find out if anyone knows how to do this and what equipment he is using. Help would be much appreciated!
Here is a link to the clip that I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoDzHPrVdXw

It's a drum machine (beat machine) I don't what make it is but, that is what they use. You don't necessarily need that to make beats, you can also use keyboards with MIDI, and you can plug it into a soundcard that has MIDI, and the soundcard (interface) is plugged into your computer via USB or FireWire. You also need a software that has MIDI where you can do all your sampling and editing, create beats and what not, pro tools is one, and also Mac computers and laptops come with garage band that you can use for MIDI. You don't really sample it out from a record (like in the video), he just listens to the beat and plays it out and his drum-beat machine.

Back