Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need to learn to cook?

I have recently left a relationship, one where she basically done all the cooking. Now I have cooked before, and I am not bad, but I just don't know what to buy for a weekly food shop! At the moment I walk down the freezer isle and buy nearly everything that gets shoved in the oven for 20 minutes...not good for my diet.

Can anybody provide me with some inspirational meals, not overly healthy, but good enough that its not going to make me feel weighed down all the time?

p.s. I mainly eat at work as I work late shifts. I would like meal ideas that can be cooked in bulk and reheated but still be tasty, I have a microwave at work and thats pretty much it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on what you like. Soup is good for a while. Fried meat is easy and quick to make. Fancy sandwiches work well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well you can turn frozen foods into healthier dinners.

Take frozen chicken patties for example. If you make spaghetti and sauce you can add the cooked frozen chicken to it with mozarella cheese easy chicken parmesan.

You can take pasta veggie frozen steamers. Cook them up and you can add more veggies and grilled chicken or cut up grilled sausages.

You can take frozen meatballs and turn them into meatball subs.

you can cook up frozen chicken tenders and chop them up for salads. You can even toss them in wing sauce or bbq sauce before adding to salad.

Another easy recipe my boyfriend loves is I cook onions and mushrooms in a pan with a little butter. I chop up some deli roast beef then I add it to the pan. I put it on sandwiches with swiss cheese and whatever toppings that you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Basically, start off by learning 7 different dinners, this is what I did. Make a list of each dinner and then figure out what you need to make it.

Things like pasta and noodles are easy, maybe cooked with beef or whatever meat. Get chicken stock, it makes everything nice if it goes wrong. Have salt & pepper along with garlic and tinned tomatoes (if you like them) because you can pretty much make anything tasty with those.

Spag ball and chilli is good if you wanna cook something to have the next day, or whenever you want to re-heat it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rice is easy to cook and it tastes good after reheating. Take 2 cups of water to a boil and then place 1 cup of rice into the water, turn flame to a simmer, be sure to cover with lid, and cook for 30 minutes. Change the amount of water depending on the size of your big pot in your kitchen. This 30 minute timing assumes regular white rice, but you can use Basmati rice which is produced in India and I'm sure you'll enjoy the taste. In this case cook for 10 minutes and then allow it to stand on the stove for 5 minutes before eating, like so. You also have the choice of cooking the white rice in a container with a lid in the microwave at High for 5 minutes and then at 50% power for 15 minutes, and the Basmati rice in a container with a lid in the microwave at High for 5 minutes and then at 50% power for 5 minutes. For what to add to the rice, cucumber, onions, mild peppers, hot peppers, corn, cinnamon, sage, carrots, spinach, raspberries, what you desire.

Downloads
    Uploads
    cooking lessons

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go here my friend and learn:
    http://food2fork.com/default

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cooking shows on TV is popular with beginning cooks. Find a talented relative or a willing family friend and ask him or her to share his or her cooking experiences with you.