Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Huge Noob to Car audio, i have a couple of questions?

Hey im new to car audio and want to buy a good system.

1. I found a good cheap kicker 12" sub including the box. Its RMS power is 400w with a 800w peak power. Does that mean a 500w amp would be good for this sub? Also do 400w kicker subs sound good (if any of you have heard one before)?

2. What all do I need to buy for a good system?
    All I know of to buy is a sub, amp, and someone for the installation.

Thanks!
    3. Also let me know how this kit sound please.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KICKER-CAR-AUDIO-C15-COMP-500W-LOADED-15-VENTED-SUBWOOFER-BOX-BOSS-CE1002-AMP-/130855066083?pt=US_Speaker_Sub_Enclosures&hash=ite m1e7791d9e3&vxp=mtr

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would go a little bit bigger on the amp. i.e. between 750-1000 watts peak at about 400+ watts rms. You don't want to run your amp at max power all of the time when it is on, it's not good for it. With that in mind you are going to want to show off your powerful sub. This will give you some wiggle room. Another reason why I say to go a little bigger is to not under power the subs. Just think of the RMS value and go about 25% less and you will have, what I call, your under power point. It is actually more harmful for the speakers to be running low than it is for it to run near max. And yes, They do sound good.

For the rest of the sound system, I would personally upgrade your head unit (your radio, deck, etc.) to something that has 6 RCA connections, two for the subs and 4 for other speakers (optional); a 4 by 100 watt amp, to help give clarity to your speakers (also optional); and aftermarket speakers to automatically give some clarity (recommended). For the head unit, be prepared to spend about 150-200 dollars to buy and install your aftermarket head unit. I would personally, get your buddy and install the new speakers yourself because it isn't worth the money to have a professional install them.

Remember, balance in your sound system is key. Hope this helps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a great subwoofer but make sure your amp doesn't exceed 400 watts rms!
    So if that amp is 500 rms than that will blow it. If its 500 peak then find out the rms.

And depending on the ohms of your sub (either 2 or 4ohm) can change the wattage coming out if your amp.
    So also what is the ohm of your sub

That kit doesn't make sense that amp is not good for that subwoofer. So if you get it is look into a different amp.