Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

can i do boxing and martial arts?

right now im in boxing, but i also want to try martial arts. I know that boxing is a type of martial art, but i want something thats more oriented toward self defense than to fighting in a controlled ring

what im asking is if i were to take karate or something, could it mess with my boxing training

and if i do, what martial art do you recommend

- thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    i too do boxing. but i have done other martial arts before. i did both at the same time and it wont mess up your boxing training, although i found that sometimes when i wasnt winning in boxing i was tempted to use my martial arts skills, since it is self defense and it was sort of instinct to defend myself. so you can do both but dont mix them in a fight, it doesnt work well. i would simply do karate at first, because thats the most common and there probably isnt a lot of other martial art places near you, also it is a great beginning martial art (although boxing is a martial art, it is way different and isnt really about too much defense besides blocking and dodging)

Downloads
    Uploads
    My advice to u would be drop boxing an join MMA (mixed martial arts) instead of boxing and martial arts.. I am a current MMA fight specialize in kick boxing and Jiu-jitsu. Mixed martial arts will provide u with training in most forms of fights depending what you decide. Usually stand up (boxing) add kicks and ground game along with throws and tosses (judo) as in boxing it is strictly stand up to where mixed martial arts will make u a much better well rounded fighter

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would recommend Jiu Jitsu. It blends well with boxing if you are ever considering trying out MMA. Lots of the greats have been jiu jitsu black belts with good hands like BJ Penn, Vitor, and the Nogueira twins.