Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

martial arts closed minds?

hi i have been involved in martial arts for about 23 years now i started in tae kwon do in germany for about three years then when i got i got back to the states my father signed me up for a version of isshin ryu called dan ryu karate and i stayed there for 2 years after that a buddy of mine named adam introduced me to a kyokushin sensei and that's what ive been involved with for the past 18 years... my first sensei stopped teaching years ago so i sought out an organization to certify rank which alotta people bash me for why is that???? either way nowadays i have a new kyokushin mentor that is currently validating my rank all over again so people will hush up .. anyway my new mentor is like a father to me but he is too closed minded for the past 2 and hafe years i have been cross training with bjj and he bashes it every chance he gets he says kyokushin is the only way but i see otherwise and i teach my students the most useful street effective techniques from both and outta fear of being disowned i never invited him to my dojo .. i know sad right. im thinking of just calling my system something else (notice i said system not style cause its not a new style at all) cause what i teach and what he teaches is t totally different for instance im about street fighting because thats where i really learned how to apply techniques in bad the neighborhoods i grew up in (i actually had to use and rely on this shit ) and he is all about training for competition so yea we have a conflict brewing i just need some advice on how to deal with him and why is he so close minded to the point i can get kicked out of the organization ..o yea and if i do get kicked out what do you suggest i do i got a plan but i wanna hear yours

Downloads
    Uploads
    I joined a traditional jujutsu club. The sensei there used any opportunity he could to bash my BJJ training. Fact was that I owned all his students that weren't Brown or Black belts. I only had about 2 years of BJJ training at the time. I eventually lost interest and left. I wasn't going to stick around for someone that has no clue what he's talking about.

I suggest you quit too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd bail. I was lucky, my first real Sifu taught that all styles have value. He put his money where his mouth was too, he brought in an Aikido guy and a BJJ guy to supplement our Kung Fu. That was a lot of fun. Really helped fill in some gaps.