Should I ask my husband to turn off his phone on vacation?

aedios

Feb 27, 2013
My husband is a music manager, so he has his phone with him constantly, emailing, texting, calling. In about 10 days we are taking a weekend vacation up the coast and I'm thinking of asking him to turn off his phone or let me be in charge of it for the duration of the trip so that we can have uninterrupted time together. On a day-to-day basis it's necessary for him to be using his phone constantly throughout the day in order to do his job correctly and avoid missing any opportunities for his artist. Is it unfair of me to ask this of him since there is no one who can cover for him? Is it too drastic to ask him to not use his phone at all for the weekend or should I allow for special circumstances if he gets a really important phone call?

P.S. - We haven't had a weekend away together since our honeymoon three years ago and he also has not been without his phone for longer than a couple hours since then either.

My fiance owns his own business so i know exactly where you are coming from..to me its so annoying.but anyways I think it should be fine to ask him. You two need alone time and with the phone going off just like when your at home isn't alone time. I asked my fiance if he would get mad (when it comes to his phone we don't see eye to eye) and he said no it would be off anyways. Good luck :)

I don't think it's unfair for you to expect your husband to take a vacation for a weekend and focus on the two of you instead of work. I have a job where I am on call pretty much 24/7 (and believe me, they call me at all hours), and it does frustrate my husband a fair amount. The last time we went away for the weekend I turned off the phone and left it at home because I wanted to enjoy our time together. I made sure my out of office indicated that I would not be available until Monday and that the person who was going to be on call in my absence knew that I was not going to be reachable. And the world did not end, and I didn't lose my job :)

Back