Torrent bandwidth capped?

Rockstar1

Jun 21, 2008
Using utorrent, my torrents usually download at around 2-4 MB/s (I live on a college campus). But starting yesterday, my torrents have been stuck at around 40 kB/s for everything. I had a similar problem before, which I solved by uninstalling the beta version I was using and re-installing the normal version again, but that didn't do anything this time. My internet speed remains very fast otherwise, so it seems that just torrents are going slowly. What could the problem be?

I don't think my ISP is interfering intentionally with my download speed or anything, it would have stopped completely or I would have gotten a warning.

I've used Torrents before. Yes you can get viruses etc, but you can get them anyway. All I can tell you, and I have worked in IT before there are higher powers at work here, and bit torrents usually work for a while then don't.

if your into conspiracy theories it goes along the lines of the ISPs and everyone who makes money off the internet have come to some sort of secret agreement to limit worldwide use of bit torrents, so put a cap on the bandwidth. The agreement is to give the media and film companies X amount of money to replace the lost revenue.

So your not given a warning. Because your not supposed to know. As downloading Bit Torrents is not illegal.

My friend said use a proxy mask with a half hour rotating ip, like hide / mask your Ip. Be careful typing the word torrent in a google search too many times. If you get that thing in google where it says "detected unusual traffic" "please enter the code" you have been rumbled.

If any one else has a better explanation I'd like to hear it.

Back