Your experience in the Martial Arts?

Sev

Jun 25, 2008
Do you think you have enough experience and insight to write a book about your style?
Do you think one would need extensive insight to write about anything related to that art?

No.

I don't have the experience, the knowledge or the desire to write a book about my style. I'll leave that to other people. I just enjoy the journey, learning, and sharing.

Yes, but no.
My style is that of my teacher's, however my teacher was inducted into and cross graded into a similar style.

I would say that, while my experience is less than most on here, for a general population book, I would be able to write an introduction of my style as a book reference for others.

No way. I'm not a writer. Maybe I have the insight into myself but not anyone else. If I could look into the minds and motivations of others I may have something interesting. After reading countless martial arts books ranging from KM to Xingyiquan I have concluded that most martial artists write poorly.

I find manuals with pictures or drawings more helpful..

That would depend on the focus of the book.

I do not think I could ever write a book teaching someone any style of martial art. I think I can write a fairly good book about its history and, perhaps, my own journey as a student of martial art, but I don't think in this day and age of online websites that the book would sell enough to recoup the cost of printing it. But I have to admit that if I had my own printing press, I would be seriously tempted to peddle my book - just to see how it does.

I don't think extensive insight is a requirement, although it is definitely a plus. I think clarity of mind and the ability to express the insights you do have in a way that a layman can understand is more important. One of the most important lessons I was taught by a high school english teacher is that you need to identify with the audience that you are writing to/for. It does not matter how deep the thoughts or whether it's a new paradigm, if no one understands what you wrote then you basically wrote nothing.

Back