Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your experience in the Martial Arts?

Do you think you have enough experience and insight to write a book about your style?

Do you think one would need extensive insight to write about anything related to that art?

Downloads
    Uploads
    No.

I don't have the experience, the knowledge or the desire to write a book about my style. I'll leave that to other people. I just enjoy the journey, learning, and sharing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, but no.
    My style is that of my teacher's, however my teacher was inducted into and cross graded into a similar style.

I would say that, while my experience is less than most on here, for a general population book, I would be able to write an introduction of my style as a book reference for others.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No way. I'm not a writer. Maybe I have the insight into myself but not anyone else. If I could look into the minds and motivations of others I may have something interesting. After reading countless martial arts books ranging from KM to Xingyiquan I have concluded that most martial artists write poorly.

I find manuals with pictures or drawings more helpful..

Downloads
    Uploads
    im bruce lee's younger brother wong ting long ling ting bong sushi lee

Downloads
    Uploads
    That would depend on the focus of the book.

I do not think I could ever write a book teaching someone any style of martial art. I think I can write a fairly good book about its history and, perhaps, my own journey as a student of martial art, but I don't think in this day and age of online websites that the book would sell enough to recoup the cost of printing it. But I have to admit that if I had my own printing press, I would be seriously tempted to peddle my book - just to see how it does.

I don't think extensive insight is a requirement, although it is definitely a plus. I think clarity of mind and the ability to express the insights you do have in a way that a layman can understand is more important. One of the most important lessons I was taught by a high school english teacher is that you need to identify with the audience that you are writing to/for. It does not matter how deep the thoughts or whether it's a new paradigm, if no one understands what you wrote then you basically wrote nothing.