Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin is looking to make history at this week’s NFL combine.

The former Olympian thinks he can set records in the 40-yard dash and the broad jump – and he has the preliminary numbers to back those claims up.

“[I want to run] one of the fastest times, if not the fastest,” Goodwin said. “I want to run the fastest ever; that's my goal. Chris Johnson has the record at 4.24. That's my goal.”

Goodwin, whose best time in the 100-meter dash is 10.09, said his fastest 40-yard dash time was 4.24, but it’s the broad jump where he might open eyes. Goodwin qualified for the Olympics in long jump with a leap of 27 feet, 4 ¼ inches, but faltered in the Games and failed to reach the finals. Still the combine record of 11’5” seems fairly doable.

While Goodwin is looking to wow coaches with his athleticism, he knows his draft stock will depend on position drills. He had just 26 catches for 340 yards and three touchdowns and 13 carries for 140 yards and three scores. Those numbers have led some NFL pundits to question whether he might have been misused at Texas, especially after a strong showing during the week leading up to the Senor Bowl and the game itself.

“I've proved that I have more than just linear speed,” Goodwin said. “I have good hands, I run good routes and get out of my breaks. I can run other routes than just the ‘9.' I'm tough, can take hits and block.”

We’ll see if scouts see the same thing.

- - -
Want to join the conversation? Hit us up on Twitter @YahooDrSaturday and be sure to "Like" Dr. Saturday on Facebook for football conversations and stuff you won't see on the blog.