Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is Judaism really a race?

I'm fifteen and in Biology we're learning about genetics. We're learning about mutations and, according to the curriculum, one is more common among JEWS. I'm Jewish, so this made me very uncomfortable, and a little defensive. My parents were converts.

But I was wondering. Is it really a race? Am I getting defensive for nothing? Also, if I'm NOT wrong, would it be something I'm allowed to complain about?

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a Jewish RACE, or ethnic group. These are the descendants of Jacob.

There is a Jewish RELIGION, called "Judaism", to which one can convert. Most members of the religion are also members of the race, but not all.

Certain genetic illnesses, such as Tay–Sachs disease, are FAR more common among people of the Jewish race.

Junior Member Scooterpoopatlarge's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, it's an ethnicity.

Nothing to be defensive about. There are several genetic anamolies that are almost unique to Jewish people. I call them "anamolies" because they have minimal impact on physiology.

(Some people try to argue that Judaism can't be a race or ethnicity because you can convert to the religion. The truth is there are very few converts, and those who do convert often end up marrying an ethnic Jew.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    A Christian is someone who follows Christianity.

A ______ is someone who follows Judaism.

Fill in the blank. You can't. There is no word for someone who follows the religion of Judaism

Often, the term "observant Jew" will substitute for the nonexistent word.

Judaism is absolutely NOT a race. It is ONLY a religion.

Jewishness is almost an ethnicity, in practical terms, but not by definition. As another has said, it is like being a member of a tribe -- or a family.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Judaism is a religion it's not a race for Jews they are an ethnicity a branch of Caucasians. Your family converted to Judaism that doesn't make you a Jew or change your race it simply means you believe their religious beliefs. .

I would question this teachers term of mutation as your being taught genetics her/his interpretation genetic mutations may be question or even called fraudulent teaching.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Judaism is strictly a religion.

"Jew" or "Jewish" can refer to the race or the religion. Perhaps we should revive "Hebrew" to refer to the race.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They were God's chosen people, therefore defined by distinguishable characteristics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    GOD spent 14 hundred years teaching the children of Israel how to be Jewish. Their blood line was Hebrew.

Junior Member DreBearaPediatrician's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    judaism is a religion jewish is a religion or ethnic group

Downloads
    Uploads
    Judaism is a religion. Jews are an ethnicity.

Until very recent times they were closely enough entwined to consider them almost one and the same. Think of Jews as a tribe because that's what they have been for a long, long time - you can be born into a tribe, you can be accepted into a tribe, and in some cases you can be expelled from a tribe.

Since conversions to and fro were not common enough to offset genetics, Jews on the whole have plenty of genetic coherence. This doesn't refer to very recent converts, of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast