Question about cooking cornbread?

casey

May 12, 2008
We are on a diet but splurging a little tonight. having cornbread with our soup. Using a cast iron skillet sould I use oil in the pan or no calorie cooking spray. I have buttered flavored. Want to be as good as possible but which shouyld I use?

bread will stick in that cast iron skillet. use some in it. about 1 teaspoon or more. the pam is a oil and it has the same amount of calories,
i always put a small layer of olive oil in my cooking. you want your bread to taste good. why don't you bake it. it saves calories.

Use a real oil if you want to be healthy. The cooking spray is only a convenience and not a healthy one. The so-called "no calorie" cooking spray is a misnomer because it is only no calorie IF you use a .0.25 second burst of spray. For example, if you spray of 1 second or over, you WILL add about half gram of fat. Read the fine print.

The other thing people are not told is that one of the ingredient in the cooking spray is lecithin which will build up on the edge of the a pan/skillet and it is very hard to clean off. Another ingredient is dimethyl silicone which is a chemical used to prevent foaming. I don't know about you, but I don't recall silicone being something that is healthy to eat.

Use a real oil such as olive, safflower, or corn and coat the skillet.

Back