Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I dont want to choose between my dog and my gf who's allergic what can I do?

I have an Olde English Bulldogge which unfortunately is terrible for allergies. He slobbers alot so you have the protein in their saliva factor and also he sheds alot so the hair and dander as well. Doesn't help that his hair is so short and course so it sticks into carpet, fabrics, and evne sorta scratches and irritates your skin which makes the allergies even worse. I'm mildly allergic to dogs and he does irritate my allergies but not to the point I would give him up. My girlfriend on the other hand even being in my house she developes this rash that looks like tiger stripes all over her body, her face gets these little red bumps and her brething becomes really labored.

I plan to only allow my dog in carpeted areas, brush him often, bath him often, get air purifiers. Anything else I can do? Also does anyone know if the allergy dander sprays or shampoos actually work?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let the girlfriend go. Keep the dog, it will love you more than the GF.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why don't you just take your girlfriend to the doctor and get her some allergy medications? Several people live with allergies and still have pets because they take medication for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try the medications for your girlfriend and if they don't work out and it comes to choosing the dog

or her, go with the dog. The dog will always be loyal and care for you no matter what, the GF on the other hand not so much. People are a dime a dozen and the loyalty and companionship you get with a dog can never be matched on the same level as a person.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think what you are already doing is fine enough, I think it is a good idea to keep both and if she is in that position where it is too much for her you can always remove the dog from the room. But removing that dog from your life would be much worse than anything in my opinion. Try what you are doing, if anything you can always talk to your vet for more options.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't she see a doctor and get something to help with her allergies? Is she not willing to do that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you love your girlfriend than I'd give him up. Only if this looks like it's going to be a long term relationship though. If you're still unsure about her than keep the dog till you are sure. I wouldn't make anyone that I really loved put up with those horrible reactions. Consider getting a shih tzu, poodle, goldendoodle, or any other dog that is hypoallergenic and will be a lot easier on people with allergies. People love English Bulldogs so you should be able to find him a good home.