How is Atheism a religion?

PopPunkisNotDead

Feb 3, 2013
I fail to understand the logic of this argument.

I don't believe in either God, an Afterlife or anything of the sort so how is it a religion.

My morals come from my parents and empathy, not what is written in an ancient book written by men
CalleyD - Its a lack of believe, I only accept what has scientific evidence
kyle - It also says the Scientology is a religion
Rai A - Isn't that Humanism . I am not a humanist

Atheists frequently display more faith than Christians in their persistent belief that all of the intricacies of nature just happened by accident. :hammer punch:

Any one belief or the refusal thereof any one belief, requires a system of beliefs in which to function. A god is any physical or mental imagery upon where belief is habitually practiced. Ironically, your god, is the thought that there is no God/gods.

Well, the definition of the word religion is "details of belief as taught or discussed".
Atheism fits into this definition quite nicely. People discuss and teach it all the time, and it has a specific detail that people believe.
Seems pretty straightforward to me.

'Religion' means 'living by rules' (Not necessarily anything to do with God)
Many (not all) atheists make their belief just that.

Atheism is not a "religion". Atheism is a sin against the virtue of religion required by the first commandment of the law.

Yes, it's weird, you still get people insisting that. How hard is it to get a dictionary?

Atheism is no religion, it is only disobedience and war against Allah. It is amalgamation of follies and nothing else. If they are true, Allah gives them death they should stop it..

,,it is simply a question of classification:religion or not religion/belief in god or no belief in god etc.atheist is in the category no belief in god and is not a religion in itself.i do not think if there is an association for atheists or a church or a group for atheist.you can say that atheists are not christians, are non believers in god,but atheist is in it self not a religion,be it organised or non organised.....

Because it is based on faith that your assumptions are correct. You can not prove them...nor can we disprove them.

I'm NOT an Atheist, but I've had this debate with Atheists in the past.

PERSONALLY

I have noticed that ALL Atheists have a very strong personal code ode of ethics. So I suggest that Atheism is a form of Spirituality NOT a Religion because there is no dogma.

Naturally some Atheists disagree.

No one's morals come from a book. No one's. The codes some religious people -choose- to live their lives by are not their morals, they are just guides. Not everyone has parents who teach them morals, and not everyone has empathy. Some people refer to their religious code to guide them, that doesn't mean they have no morals outside of it or that they got their morals FROM it.

You are misunderstanding the definition of religion. In the broad sense, Atheism could technically be considered a religion. A religion actually does not require doctrine, books, codes, or commandments, it does not require a God, or even an idea of an afterlife.

There are a few religions that have no deities. Paganism is a theistic religion, but we have no set codes, no holy book, no consensus on an afterlife, and no agreement about God. In a random sample of people who call themselves Pagan, we have fewer things in common with each other than a similar sampling of Atheists have with each other.

A religion is simply a deeply held belief, and a devotion to that belief. It is not a lack of belief, you can't define something in the negative. You aren't lacking anything, you believe that there are no Gods. When there isn't any proof (and lets be honest, there isn't any concrete proof one way or the other) you have a belief. You choose to devote to the idea that there are no Gods and no afterlife. You happen to be part of a large body of other people who believe the same thing. You devote time and energy to the idea, and you are either steadfast in this belief, or you refuse to even consider it to be a belief (just like the certainty many theists have about their beliefs). Some Atheists even try to convert people from their religions to Atheism.

How hard, really, looked at this way, is it to see Atheism as the religion of Godlessness? The problem is that so many Atheists have negative feelings about religion, and so the very idea of any common ground is repellant- to the point of indignation, and even rage. But the truth of the matter is that there is more than enough evidence to consider Atheism a religion, the only thing missing, really, is Atheists agreeing with it. If Atheists could ever get over their anti-religion complexes enough to admit it, or decided to fight fire with fire and actually claim it, they'd be a pretty powerful religion. ;)

I don't think it's considered to be one. An atheist isn't going to call it their religion because they don't believe in having a religion to go by.

Back