Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I check the manual transmission fluid in my 2001 Mazda B2300 (Ford Ranger)?

I can hear the gears clunking and squeaking on occasion, I described it to a mechanic friend and they said I should check the transmission fluid. If it just needs refilled it will be an easy fix. But the manual doesn't describe it very well at all. It just has a picture of the outside of the truck with an arrow pointing to the underside of the drivers door and says to unscrew the bolt. I looked under there, but I can't see where to check it. I searched the internet, but I couldn't find any good pictures describing where that little bolt is.

Can any one show me how to find the place to check my transmission fluid?

Downloads
    Uploads
    This should be a T5 5-speed. On the PASSENGER side of the case, there are two plugs. The bottom is a drain and the top is a FILL plug. A total fluid change on this trans is 2.5 quarts of automatic transmission fluid (I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my Mustang's T5). Do NOT mess with any plugs on the driver's side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of them holds the reverse detent lever......loosen it, and your reverse lever will fall into the case and the trans will have to be disassembled for repair......

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok if you will get a light and look real good you will see it (and its not a bolt sticking out ) its a plug in the side of the trans case and a 3/8 plug is what it is and you can remove the plug with a breaker bar ,But if you dont see a lot of wet ness around the front or the rear of the trans its proably not going to be low , And some times it will leak on top of the trans where the shifter comes out of the trans . But the noise that you are hearing is proably hearing is going to be the throw out bearing or the polit bearing ,,And for you to learn more about your car you can get a chiltons repair manual$15.00 bucks and well worth it ,and it will help you with all your questions that you have ,good luck and i hope this help ya out .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Get under the truck and look around in the tranny. Depending on the engine your ranger has, it should have two bolts. They may or may not have these letters but the one I checked had them. The bottom bolt said Drain, and the top bolt said Fill.