What are your thoughts on the Boy Scouts lifting their ban on gays?

Bobbin

Oct 21, 2008
Particularly, the threat of church sponsors to disband their troops based on the national organization's lifting the ban, even they would still be free to continue the ban themselves. Thoughts

They haven't. The vote has been delayed until May.

It is their decision to make. I have a problem where kids are involved in what amounts to an all-male organization. They've had plenty of problems in the past with pedophiles (remember we're talking same-gender child abuse) and have managed to get somewhat of a handle on it. And now the are being pressured into potentially opening this up for more problems, yet.

Still, it is their decision to make and in the United States, the Supreme Court has ruled that the BSA can set their standards for membership and maintain them (whether you, I, or anyone else likes those standards).

They keep talking about it, but they keep putting any decision making on hold! I just don't believe that they are going to actually do it!

Many parents would not allow their children to be in the scouts if they knew the scout leader was gay. So lifting the ban could reduce membership.

Scouting is a quasi fascist organization. It should be disbanded anyway.

it sort of minimizes the scout oath and code of conduct

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

=====

A Scout is:

Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful,
Friendly, Courteous, Kind,
Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty,
Brave, Clean, Reverent

More people turning away from God's Truth? You think that puts a dent in God's plan? Or does that drive people further and further away from Him?

As an Eagle Scout, I think that it is a great idea. About half of the organization would be able to come out of the closet.

Back