Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do I get audio from DivX .AVI file stream on Macbook?

I am starting to use my first Apple laptop, and unfortunately, I'm having quite a bit of trouble figuring out how to go about streaming a video file through my browser (Chrome). I have DivX installed, but I am constantly given an error message saying "This file contains a track in an unknown format. You may need to install a QuickTime decoder for this audio format in order to hear the soundtrack of this file." Okay, seems simple enough. I have researched my options and am still running into problems: Perian does not seem to do anything after I download and install it to my computer - the message appears as though nothing has changed (am I missing a step or something?). I have also tried to use the VLC player, however, that does not seem to help either. I do not want to download the file to my computer, and would rather just stream it from my browser. I'm able to see the video, but there is never any sound played. I would really appreciate any help you may have. I'm pretty embarrassed that something that seems so simple is giving me such a problem! Thank you all!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Web browser standards do not have any options for playing AVI files online. The file types that are used in a web page are Flash Video, Shockwave Video, QuickTime, and WMV. Ogg containers were written into the HTML5 specification from 2006 to October 2007, so versions of Opera and Firefox play Ogg formats without a plugin.

As for using Perian, it is only supported with QuickTime 7 and earlier. See the links below.

FREE ADVICE (and worth every penny!)....
    Always tell what you are using, as in "I am using a MacBook Pro 2011 i7 2.6GHz running OS 10.8.2." We have no idea what you have unless you say. ("my first Apple laptop" could be an iBook from 2004 that you bought yesterday used.)