We didn't figure A.J. McCarron would declare early for the NFL Draft, but he announced he's staying, just in case you were worried.

The Alabama quarterback, who has led his team to the BCS Championship Game as a junior, will be back for his senior season.

"I had many goals for myself when I came to the University of Alabama," McCarron said in a statement released through the school. "I have been lucky enough to achieve some of those goals, but some are still ahead of me. There were many factors in my decision to return to Alabama for my senior year but, after talking with my family and coaches, I knew it was the right choice for me.

"I love the University of Alabama, my coaches, my teammates and our fans. I am excited to have the opportunity to play with my brother (sophomore tight end Corey McCarron), continue to grow as a leader, continue to help our team win football games and develop even further as a quarterback. The NFL has long been a dream, but I think another year at Alabama can only help my chances of being successful at the next level."
While that might not come as a big surprise, it does reinforce that Alabama has a great shot at returning to the BCS Championship Game next season, for a third straight year.

While the Crimson Tide will lose some talent to graduation and some will leave early to the NFL, there are plenty of talented players to go around on that roster. With McCarron back, Alabama will probably be No. 1 (or at least top two or three) in the 2013 preseason polls.

If you don't like Alabama, 2013 might not be your year to celebrate the Crimson Tide's demise.

- - -
Got a tip for Dr. Saturday? Email us at [email protected] . You can also connect with us via Twitter @YahooDrSaturday and be sure to "Like" Dr. Saturday on Facebook for football conversations and stuff you won't see on the blog.