Is the introduction to my essay confusing? How can I improve it?

Sarah

May 11, 2008
This is the introduction to my "teaching philosophy" essay. Is it a good start or should I make some changes to make it more understandable?

To me, children are like a puzzle. Every child is unique as is every puzzle. Because of this, the single piece that the puzzle is started upon is best built by corresponding pieces, or in the child’s case, ideas that are captivating to him/her. I have seen so many of my friends lose their interest in learning because they are given a forced curriculum. They deal with this curriculum like robots memorizing and purging. Then, they move on to the next topic forgetting all about the previous. I don’t want to see the vacant look in my students’ eyes. I want to make sure that each and every child I teach maintains that curiosity that they are born with.

I have always learned it is best to start out with a question or something unique that will grab the readers attention. Therefore, I think your opening sentence is good w/ a little tweaking. You could say something along the lines of..."What makes a puzzle unique? The fact that no two puzzles or puzzle pieces are similar. I believe children are much like puzzle pieces, in the fact that each child represent a unique piece."
-completely cut out because and go straight into writing your next sentece. You may want to rephrase this line only because I had a little trouble understanding the relation of the puzzle pieces to the child's ideas.
--If you were referencing a child's mind is that of a puzzle piece each one with different ideas then I somewhat understand, but it comes off confusing to the reader from only reading it through once

"I have witnessed my fellow peers lose an interest in learning due to the face they are given a forced curriculum. Students handle this curriculum such as robots memorizing and purging. Then, they move forward to the next topic completely forgetting about prior work."
--never use contractions, I am trying to be rude only trying to help you improve future writing. They just make the writer tend to sound amateurish, as if you were still in high school.
"I would hate to see the vacant stares in my students eyes. I want to ensure that each and every child I educate maintains that natural curiosity they were born with."

--Overall you did do a good job! Yes, I might have changed quite a bit, but what you gave me was rough draft and that is how one should start out. Furthermore, having a different eye someone else may see something you did not. I hope I did not come across rude that was not my intent only trying to help, hope I did

Back