Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is a teacher holding you after the bell rings as punishment illegal?

I've heard that its the Geneva Laws of collective punishment, but when I looked it up it was stuff on a much bigger scale like genocide and war etc. I don't know the first thing about law or exercising rights, so I'd like to know If I'm within my rights to walk out of a classroom where my teacher is doing this. Typically, I wouldn't care. But it's the last period of the day and I have to get to my bus before it leaves. Please provide details

I know I'm not being abused. I just live too far away to walk to school, and like I said if you had read the whole question, I have to get to my bus. The buses leave 10 minutes after the last bell rings, and she wants to hold us for 6 minutes. And its a big school. I wouldn't make it in time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No its not illegal lol. It's called teaching you a lesson for misbehavior! If a kid gets in serious trouble, and gets an after school detention, parents are called. Some states have different laws, meaning they don't have to phone parents to explain the child is staying after school.

Just because you learned this stuff in history class, doesn't mean your getting abused for staying after school.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recommend you read the student code of conduct provided to you & agreed to by your parents. Me personally, if it came down to walking home & seeing the principle the next day, well i'd just go get on the bus and have my little pow wow with the principle the next day, but that's just me. Of course, i'm not in school and don't have to put up with crap like this......then again, i'm not dishing it out either like you must be.

Well, if you decide to take your battle to the principle i'd certainly hold my argument that walking home is just cruel & unusual. Cuz like I said, I wouldn't do it.....they could kiss my @$$.

Downloads
    Uploads
    where i live a teacher is allowed to hold you in for detention for a maximum of 30 minutes after school. That was for elementary school. In high school the teachers just talk to you if you get in trouble or send you to the principles office and you get a call home

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chances are that it is perfectly legal. You can check the student handbook, of course. Isn't there a bus provided for students who leave late due to extracurricular activities? Can't you take it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm sure you can just get up and walk out. The teacher won't do squat to you but maybe send u to the office the nexdt day or ocs? Idk try it and see what happens. I'm sure there isn't that much trouble u will get into. Its lameeA** school lol