I bought a cellphone-what is the right age kids should get cells?

Seraphina

Sep 17, 2008
I'm 13 and bought a blackberry type of phone from tracfone. It's very similar to an actual blackberry but here is the dreaded question... What age should a kid/teen get a phone? I got a really good deal and paid for it with my own money. I'm very responsible and will pay for or borrow money from my parents. By "borrow" I mean I really will pay them back.

Most people say 17 or when you start driving. Is it bad that I got one? I don't plan on wasting my minutes updating Facebook...but I'm going to start working at the local theater so is that a good reason?

I feel a bit like a hypocrite/conformist because before I didn't see the logic of giving kids under 15 a cellphone. But again, I'll start working. I'm also homeschooled so I'm not AS social as some kids. I hated seeing 10 year olds walking with iPhones but now I feel like I need one.

Hence, the whole "hypocrite" thing. Thanks for answering!

Don't let any other kid affect when you think you need a cell phone. If you have a job, a cell phone is something worth having, and 13 is fine. Spoiled 10 year old kids with iPhones are the kids who probably don't need a phone for any reason. I got a phone when I was 15, mainly because I started doing lots of stuff aside from school, and needed to be in contact with my parents. Also, if you have a job, and make your own money, you should be able to spend it on whatever you'd like.

Back