Why is kungfu practice making me sick?

zinc468

Jun 30, 2012
I am in Taiwan and am learning traditional longfist chaqchuan.....but lately after practice I feel dizzy and lethargic the entire day...like I am trapped in my head...it seems I really feel this way after form practice for some reason.....I stopped taking a daily dose of 1 mg ativan tapered off in October and haven't been myself since...is the kungfu making my withdrawals more sensitive? At first I thought Jesse only the qigong aspect t of training g msnaking me dizzy but now it is the physical part as well...I train only 2 hours 4-6 days a week. I have been doing kungfu for 6 months but am aS advanced as a normal one year student because itrain one on. One my master says.

Lorazepan (generic name for Ativan) is considered having a highly addictive potential and is normally used only for short term treatment. After stopping the medication withdrawal symptoms can last 6 months or more so it would not surprise me if at least part of your troubles are still from withdrawal. Lorazepan does affect the memory so your feeling 'trapped in the head' makes sense. Being dizzy, and nausea are also symptoms of withdrawal.
How hot is it in Taiwan right now when you are training? This is another possibility. I know they don't often have air conditioning over there and most people are not used to the heat. If you train in 90 degree Fahrenheit or more weather this too can make you sick and if you are lethargic the rest of the day that would indicate heat exhaustion. In that case drink lots and lots of water before, during and after training to minimize the effects and then simply train really early in the morning or later in the day and take it easy during the hot mid day.

You need to go into detox. Good thing for you a combination of massage, acupuncture, chi gong, and lots of water will get the job done and all of it can be found in Taiwan in a short distance.

It's time to delve deep into the martial and medical community there for the masters in healing and ask their advice on how to detoxify your body of artificial chemicals. You will probably need a full set of facial massage, to realign your blood and nerve flow. Including work on your adrenal glands and organs. Plus chi gong and water to flush out all the bad stuff. Keep physical exercise to a minmum. Avoid high kicks or exertion.

The kung fu is probably stressing out your body, when your body needs to rest and detox.

8 bottles of 1 liter water a day should do it. Although most of it can be compressed into a few hours if you dislike drinking water throughout the day.

Back