Connecting stereo to HDTV?

Data

Aug 4, 2008
I have a stereo and it has an Audio jack (like you'd find on an MP3 player) and an RCA (yellow, white, red) jack. My HDTV has that same RCA jack (yellow, white, red), if I got an RCA cable and connected the TV to the stereo will my sound play out of the stereo?

My TV also has an "audio in" jack, I plugged my headphones in and turned my Xbox 360 on to see if the sound would come out and it didn't, but would it work if I used an auxiliary cable (double ended headphone cable type cord) between the headphone jack on the stereo and that audio in cable?

If the jack on your stereo is an input, then the sound should work. Why would you expect an audio in jack to behave like a headphone jack?You don't seem to understand the difference between an input & an output.

To get sound out of different speakers or headphones, your tv would need an audio output jack. these can cone in different forms such as rca jacks (red/white), headphones jack, coaxial digital output (single rca) or optical toslink (fiber optic cable). if your stereo or headphones are able to connect to whatever audio output you have on the tv, you'll get sound. if not then you can always hook the audio from your sources (xbox, Sat/cable, etc) directly to your stereo or headphones with the red/white cables while still running video to your tv

Back