1970 Volkswagen Beetle Idle Issues?

thunderbirdiv94

Jan 3, 2009
I just got this 1970 Beetle about three weeks ago. It has a 1776cc motor in it, with about 2k on it. Within the last day or so, the engine would die every time I'd put it in neutral. the rpms would just drop and I'd have to start the car over and over again. I'm thinking it's something with the carb or the throttle? So I tightened the screw where the throttle is, and it seemed to have fixed the problem temporarily. But then it started doing it within a short time. Any way I can fix it?

Another thing, I ran out of gas last week, so there might be something in the fuel filter or maybe line that goes into the fuel filter.

To be honest, I know almost almost nothing about these engines. So all the info I could get would be fantastic!

Start with changing your fuel filter. Does the car drive ok once you get it going, or does it hesitate and want to stall? If this is the case, these carbs are pretty simple. If you are mechanically inclined, you can tear one down in a few short minutes. A can of brake cleaner with the plastic hose attached will be necessary. Use it to clean and blow out all of the ports and jets. Follow up with compressed air to.blow out any debris loosened up by the cleaner. Should the car still have trouble accelerating, replace the fuel pump. However, if the idle is the only issue, just try cleaning the carb and replacing the filter. It really just sounds like a plugged idle circuit.

Back