Old GMC truck "repair"?

Taylor

May 11, 2008
Hey.. so I have a GMC '72-75ish model that has been sitting for about 10 years. When we parked it, it ran great. I would like to get her up and running again... what should I do/fix? Explain it simply because I have like no truck experience! Thanks!

check to see if engine still turns,check all fluids,dont clean or do anything to carburator,
put in new or good battery,Now the most important thing to do is forget the gas tank dont put in
any new gas,but get a small i gallon tin,half fill with new gas,pull the intake fuel hose off just in front off
the carby and connect that to a short three eights gas hose to the tin with new gas,only then, try and start it..---The reason for this is the gas in the lines and gas tank will be now jelly like, and actually
blokes all lines carby etc,so if your truck starts ok,then remove gas tank clean out ,then all should be ok.Done this for years works great.

Take the plugs out and put a little bit of automatic transmission fluid into each cylinder and let it soak for a day or two. This will help to free the rings and build compression when you first try to start it. Make sure there is oil and that it doesn't have water in it. Check the carburetor and clean it if necessary. Also drain any gas from the tank and fill it with fresh gas. Other than that, it should start up once you get gas up into the carburetor.

Back