Sorry it's long but please read

My cat is a 4 year old neutered male, and is so annoying! He loves me to pieces, and I love him too, but he is just overly attached to me, and literally gives me NO personal space. He seems to have this issue that whenever he enters a room and sees me, he has to rub all over my legs, and be stroked. I will stroke him, but he won't stay still, and my hand has to follow HIM as he walks around and around! If I say no and push him away, he comes back! I don't know what to do. I rescued him from a bad situation when I was 13, he's 4 now and I'm really really busy studying, so I don't have much time for him. He is driving me MAD! He becomes destructive if he's not in the same room as me, and my mum said he's always really unsettled when i'm at school. He has LOADS of toys, and different cat trees in different rooms of the house, and he has access to an enclosed garden via a cat flap. And when I come home from school (after being out from 7am-5pm) I just cannot deal with his nonsense! He just WILL NOT leave me alone! know he's a cat etc, but I don't want to give him away, I don't think he'd cope. Its just things like this, constant attention seeking. My legs are literally sore from all the rubbing! And he gets really hyper sometimes, and yowls and runs, so I have to burn off his energy, which takes at least an hour lol! It's a lot of work looking after this cat, in contrast to the old, laid back cat I used to have. I love him sooo much, but i'm SICK OF HIM ;@ and don't get me wrong, I'm a cat lover, but he's getting too much!
Leo D: Um..'probably' but no. The cat is a family cat, and I DID NOT beg my parents to let me have a cat! They actually asked me if I was going to keep him (this was a couple of months after my old cat died and I didn't even feel ready to want another)...i.e. I didn't even ask for the cat, but he just became so attached to me. And by rescuing him from a bad situation...he was being neglected at my friends home, and they were moving house and were planning on leaving him

And how the heck would you know what I promised? I didn't know you knew how to read my thoughts!!!