Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is this left turn legal over double solid yellow in CA?

Normally it's legal to safely make a left turn into a driveway over double solid yellow lines. This one is a close decision (in my opinion) and requires you to look at google maps in first person view in order to judge. I appreciate those who take the time to look.

This is on 54th St and El Cajon Blvd in 92115, heading south on 54th, there is a driveway on the left immediately before reaching El Cajon Blvd. At this point, a solid double yellow, begins to branch into TWO sets of double yellow, indicating an "island" which CAN'T be crossed. It starts to branch into the island at fairly close proximity to the driveway, so it's unclear whether you can legally make the left turn here.

Anyone taking the time to look at the first person view of the map, do you think I would have a chance to fight a ticket? And if we suppose it's legal on the basis of whether it branched into an island or not, is there another law prohibiting this left turn (such as the driveway being in too close to the intersection, for example)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you really think the officer would have wasted his time on something that could have been fought?

Think about it. If you were a cop, would you give someone a ticket for something that menial, unless they were actually in the wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If in doubt, then avoid making the turn. Payin a ticket is not worth it.