Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does Google offer free web hosting?

I own a domain already, but I'm confused to how the hosting works. I have my domain hooked up to Google Apps (so that my Google email address is "[email protected]) but I don't actually have a site built yet. So far, if I type in domain.com I have it forwarded to my LinkedIn profile.

I'm confused to whether the free Google Apps account allows me to host a web site or if I would need another site to do that.

Is it possible to keep my Google Account/GMail for email purposes, but then the other site (eg. sixserve.com) to host the site?

Unregistered
    Running a website requires a web host provider. Websites are, in a sense, like pieces of virtual real estate. In order to set one up, you need a place, an address and a platform on which to build the site. Web hosting providers are like the real estate agents of the online environment.

Typically, web space is rented, either on a yearly, quarterly or monthly basis. The server used is a powerful computer that runs on specialized high-speed connections. They also have a high degree of firewall protection in place. Subscriber packages include website storage on the host server, email services, domain registration and auto-responders.When deciding on a web host, there are a couple of options to choose from in terms of which operating platforms are available and what type of scripting language is used. Operating platforms come in two versions: Windows, and Linux. The Windows platform is designed to work on a Windows machine. Linux is designed specifically for web server applications. My vote goes to Linux hosting.I support them because it is an open format. That means developers can build and innovate without the restrictions and limits of proprietary technology..I used to get Linux hosting from 9CubeHosting.com mainly for its stability.Another advantage in choosing Linux web hosting is its compatibility with other software and operating systems.